Friday, March 9, 2012

Greetings from Washington, D.C.!

Hi all!
Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of opportunity to fill you in on the happenings of the ambassadors in Nebraska, because I have been interning at the National 4-H Conference Center in Washington, D.C.!



I applied for the position in October, received word that I had gotten it in November, and I moved out here in February! Since then have actually gotten accustomed to living in the big city rather than the farm where I grew up, or even Lincoln, which has a small-town feel to it. I also had to get used to not being a student for the semester- that was a VERY easy adjustment.

My position is known as a Program Assistant, there are two programs to work for, WOW (Wonders of Washington) and CWF (Citizenship Washington Focus). Both applications are available in the Fall.
I work with 3 other young women, from New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Washington! You can learn more about them here!

We have had lots of different groups so far, the National Ag Day group is hosted here, as well as the upcoming National 4-H Conference for youth! I am very excited to meet the visiting Cornhuskers!!
My job, when I'm not working on projects at the Center, is to lead groups as their visit the sights and museums in Washington, D.C. I had to take a huge test before I could be certified, but now I can tell you all sorts of interesting facts about the city!
If anyone is visiting this Summer for CWF, et excited! We have lots of fun events and topics in store for you! :)

Here are a couple pictures from my exploring so far: the first is Jefferson Memorial at night, and the second is the Ronald Reagan International Trade Center and Washington Monument!


No comments:

Post a Comment